ZTE V9: Full Update Guide
This guide will walk you through the process of taking the ZTE V9 from stock to having the ability to flash a custom recovery image & the latest version of CyanogenMod.
Before you do anything — Make a backup
Don't forget to back up your data. If you have synced the device with a Google account, then the contacts, calendar, Gmail, & select other Google-related data will not be lost and will come back after the next sync. However, you should backup anything you want to keep that is not stored on the SD card:
- SMS/MMS messages,
- Call Log,
- Applications; use Titanium Backup or the Astro File Manager, for example,
- Any application data not on the SD card.
It would also be a good idea to backup everything stored on the SD card in the rare case the SD card must be formatted to resolve any major problems.
Rooting the ZTE V9
- You will need ADB on the computer to root the ZTE V9. Follow the Android SDK guide, to get the ADB shell on the computer.
- Download rageinthecage-arm5, the Motorola Drivers & the Superuser package:
- Windows Only: Install the ZTE device drivers.
- Unzip rageinthecage-arm5 & the Superuser package to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder).
- Connect the ZTE V9 to the computer via USB.
- On the computer, open terminal and run the following commands:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- Once the exploit finishes, in terminal, run the following commands:
- NOTE: You should see a "#". If you see a "$", then the exploit didn't work, please repeat steps 4 & 5.
mount -o rw,remount /system
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
- The ZTE V9 is now rooted, please continue to the next section.
Installing the ClockworkMod Recovery
- File Required: OneClickRecoveryV9-22.214.171.124.apk
- Connect Tablet to PC (Enable USB Data)
- copy "OneClickRecoveryV9 126.96.36.199.apk" to the micro sd card.
- Use AppInstaller on tablet to open and install "OneClickRecoveryV9 188.8.131.52.apk"
- Open OneClickRecovery
- [*Allow*] the Super User request.
- Click "Push here to install Clockwork recovery".
- Wait for device to reboot into Clockwork recovery.
- With Clockwork Recovery open, move on to next step.
Method via Recovery
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod.
- Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device.
- Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the SD card.
- Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the SD card also.
- Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select.
- Optional: Select backup and restore to create a backup of current installation on the ZTE V9.
- Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset.
- Then select the option to Wipe cache partition.
- Select Install zip from sdcard.
- Select Choose zip from sdcard.
- Select the CyanogenMod update.zip.
- Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 - 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.
- Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The ZTE V9 should now boot into CyanogenMod.
Method via ROM Manager
- Launch RomManager.
- Optional: Choose the first option in the app, Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to update to the latest version.
- Select the Download ROM option from the main menu in the ROM Manager.
- Select the CyanogenMod option, and then choose the latest version of CyanogenMod from the menu.
- Optional: When you select the latest version of CyanogenMod, check the Google Apps option.
- Once the ROM is finished downloading, it asks if you would like to Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
- If Superuser prompts for root permissions check to Remember and then Allow.
- The ZTE V9 will now reboot into the recovery, wipe data and cache, and then install CyanogenMod. When it's finished installing it will reboot into CyanogenMod.